1 - 'Mary Rowlandson's Strength of Faith' Final

With regard to 'Narrative of the Captivity and the Restoration of Mrs. Mary Rowlandson', its astonishing to me how Rowlandson, in such times of turmoil and devastation, held onto her faith and the will to live. It appears that Rowlandson felt her survival was for the higher purpose of relating this tragic event to others as is depicted below:


"Of thirty-seven persons who were in this one house, none escaped either present death, or a bitter captivity, save only one, who might say as he, and I only am escaped alone to tell the News" (Job 1.15)(212).
The quotes below provide just two examples of how she suffered.
"Then I took oaken leaves and laid to my side, and with the blessing of God it
cured me also; yet before the cure was wrought, I may say, as it is in Psalm
38.5-6 'My wounds stink and are corrupt, I am troubled,I am bowed down
greatly, I go mourning all the day long (215).”

"I sat much alone with a poor wounded child in my lap, which moaned night and day, having nothing to revive the body, or cheer the spirits of her, but instead of that, sometimes one Indian would come and tell me one hour that, 'your master will knock your child in the head, and then a second, and then a third, your master will quickly knock your child in the head (215).”
Rowlandson never gives herself any credit or acknowledgment for having survived her ordeal. Her strength and determination to live resound throughout the narrative, but she only acknowledges God's power in allowing her to live. That Rowlandson didn’t resent and forsake God for all the pain and suffering she and her family endured is amazing. She truly exhibited Christian fortitude and allegiance to God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recycling At Home-Everyday items from A to Z -must read

SICK OF PAYING HIGH POWER BILLS ? Here are some resources on ways to save money within your household. Rebates, Programs, Free Solar, Government Programs, etc..

E-Waste, what do you do with yours?