# 4 - 'Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglas' (final)

Reading the 'Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass', made me embarassed to be a caucasian. The first page of the narrative brought me to tears and created a sick feeling within me. The small amount revealed about slavery made me so sad and confused that I needed to put the book down.

The quote that triggered this feeling occured at the point when Douglass's mother attempts to visit him at night: "She made her journeys to see me in the night, travelling the whole distance on foot, after the performance of her day's work. She was a field hand, and a whipping is the penalty of not being in the field at sunrise (1521)."

This passage reminded me of Mary Rowlandson and Harriet Jacobs, whereas, the comparison was nearly identical. I speak from a mother's mouth and think from a mother's heart and to be subjected to the loss of a child, I could not bear.

My heart filled with sadness, disbelief and sympathy for all the souls that endured such agony and degradation. It is hard to believe that human beings could treat another human beings in such a way as slaves were treated. I can't understand how or why a human being would or could do this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recycling At Home-Everyday items from A to Z -must read

SICK OF PAYING HIGH POWER BILLS ? Here are some resources on ways to save money within your household. Rebates, Programs, Free Solar, Government Programs, etc..

E-Waste, what do you do with yours?