Heres a bit of "food for thought"
- The average time for a plastic bottle to completely degrade is at least 450 years. It can even take some bottles 1000 years to biodegrade!
- In 2004, 55 billion aluminum cans were landfilled, littered or incinerated, that’s 9 billion more than were wasted in 2000. This is enough cans to fill the Empire State Building twenty times.
- Recycling aluminum cans saves 95 percent of the energy used to make aluminum cans from virgin ore.
- During the time it takes you to read this sentence, 50,000 more 12-ounce aluminum cans are made. Let’s recycle them.
- According to the Beverage Marketing Corp, the average American consumed 1.6 gallons of bottled water in 1976. In 2006, that number jumped to 28.3 gallons.
- Although recycling is the most common method of plastic waste pollution prevention, less than one percent of all plastics products are recycled in the U.S. Americans throw away 25,000,000 plastic beverage bottles every hour!