E-Waste, what do you do with yours?


 Does your basement or attic have a similar appearance?                                                             

Not sure what to do with your retired electronics? Here is what I did with mine..

I recently decided that I am no longer going to be “chained to my old electronic devices” and that I was going to free myself of my E-Waste. 


While this is was an extremely difficult task for me to complete, I can honestly say that it’s been refreshing and inspiring to achieve and has led me on a path of living a more minimalist lifestyle. I’ve now embarked on “cleaning out all my closets” so to speak but let’s focus on your e-waste and what to do with it.

Perhaps you may not be aware that our cell phones, computers, laptops, tvs and other electronic devices can contain dangerous materials.

Take a look at just a few contaminants you might be tossing into a landfill by throwing your laptop or old cell phone into the trash:
  • Lead-can cause brain damage in children.
  • Cadmium-poisonous to the kidneys.
  • PCB's-neurobehavioral and immunological changes, cancer causing
  • brominated flame retardants-alter hormonal function.
  • mercury-brain and kidney damage.
  • indium-can cause kidney damage.
  • plastics and gases.
These heavy metals and/or chemicals can leach into our soil and ultimately end up in our water and food. There is absolutely no reason for e-waste to be in a landfill when most of the components are recyclable and often can be refurbished. 

So here are some ideas on what you can do with your items.  The locations where you can bring your e-waste varies based on where you live but some of our big box stores will take your waste.

For example, I recycled:
  • ·         12 laptops
  • ·         5 cell phones
  • ·         2 cameras
  • ·         Several charging cords
  • ·         RAM, optical drives, hard drives and other components.
I was able to bring all of my e-waste to Staples near my home. 
Some other locations that will take your e-waste are,
  • ·         Best Buy
  • ·         Vizio
  • ·         Sony
  • ·         Sprint
  • ·         Dell
  • ·         LG
  • ·         Samsung
Below is a link that will take you to the EPA’s website that has a wealth of information including a easy to read chart on where you can bring your phones, computers and tv’s along with some other helpful information regarding recycling your electronics. 

https://www.epa.gov/recycle/electronics-donation-and-recycling

**Another option that I discovered after I recycled my e-waste is an amazing resource, 'Recycle for Breast Cancer'!!  Please consider utilizing this service, they will recycle cell phones, appliances, inkjet cartridges, ipods, telephones and so much more. Check out the website and why not recycle for a good cause?  http://recycleforbreastcancer.org/

A bit of “food for thought” from the EPA,

……..For every million cell phones we recycle, 35 thousand pounds of copper, 772 pounds of silver, 75 pounds of gold and 33 pounds of palladium can be recovered. (EPA)

Another great helpful resource for recycling your e-waste thats worth a quick look through...

http://www.electronicstakeback.com/how-to-recycle-electronics/


So why not take part in keeping your home and our planet just a bit cleaner and greener? 

https://www.epa.gov/recycle/electronics-donation-and-recycling
https://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxfaqs/tf.asp?id=140&tid=26



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Recycling At Home-Everyday items from A to Z -must read

SICK OF PAYING HIGH POWER BILLS ? Here are some resources on ways to save money within your household. Rebates, Programs, Free Solar, Government Programs, etc..